Friday, April 10, 2009

Grief and Pain for Promised Joy?

I'm feeling a bit like Burn's "mousie".
My wife just got a call from her dad saying he's been very sick and hasn't eaten for a week and could she come down (Austin to Houston) and spend a couple days with him. The tone and circumstance and recent history make it feel like this may be his last legs, so we are driving to Houston tomorrow to bring him up for who knows what outcome and for how long.

Though I don't know what's really going to happen, I'm having to start planning contingencies for hosting Brad for his Texas Tour next week, and driving him to San Antonio and Houston and Dallas, and finding other accommodations for him for his Austin stay, and likely having to postpone my Jukai.

That shoe hasn't fallen, but I see it's shadow hanging over me.

But Mousie, thou are no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

2 comments:

Uku said...

Sorry to hear your wife's dad ain't feeling allright. I hope everything is ok over there!

Sometimes life indeed shows us in a harsh way how everything is just as it is. Lucky though, we have our practice to help us in these unhappy moments.

All the best to you and your family, Lauren.

Lauren said...

Thanks Uku,

Just as it is.